Sing for the joy that's found in setting up the pins and knocking them down

Friday, April 17, 2015

This Man


This Man...
  • was the most amazing father, even though his own father died when he was only two
  • loved farming and happily looked forward to the busyness of both planting and harvest
  • never missed an opportunity to tell his kids how proud he was of them
  • married his neighbor girl and spent the rest of his life being the kind of spouse and parent that we all want to be when we grow up
  • could bring your world crashing with the words, "your mom and I are disappointed in you"
  • was a leader not because he put himself at the front of the line, but because everyone wanted to follow his example
  • always told my mom that she had prepared exactly what he was hungry for--whether it was a gourmet meal or a bowl of cereal
  • said "we'll be thinking about you" which really meant "we'll be praying for you"
  • was concerned about us wasting ketchup, really concerned
  • was gentle with his animals, disciplined in his work and playful with his children
  • could sneeze louder than anyone I know and usually did it in sets of 9
  • told us kids that he had the most beautiful wife around and believed it with all his heart
  • never missed an opportunity to tease his grandchildren who adored him
  • gave free rides in his combine
  • always made my friends feel welcomed at our house
  • was proud to have served his country
  • grew up in a single parent home where his mom continued to run the farm even after she lost her husband
  • prayed before and after every meal I ever ate with him
  • owned a well worn Bible
  • will not be in history books, but was one of the most influential men I've ever known
  • asked me two questions before I married Eric, Is he good to you? and Does he love the Lord?
  • let me lay my head on his shoulder and cry in the middle of night after Eric left us
  • always had enough peppermints to pass down to each of us just when the church sermon started
  • was a humble hero who saved a little boy's life on an autumn day during harvest
  • is the reason I named my oldest son, Henry
  • cried easily
  • entered into his eternal home on a Good Friday
  • lived conservatively and gave generously
  • had calloused hands, but a tender heart
  • was everything you could ever hope for in a dad and is missed deeply each and every day








2 comments:

  1. I wish I had the chance to meet him Dawn!!! Precious memories you have of your Dad!! It seems to me he passed along some wonderful things to you! Happy belated, I pray God blesses you richly this year!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful. What a fitting tribute to your Dad. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete