Sing for the joy that's found in setting up the pins and knocking them down

Monday, April 12, 2010

Birthdays

How does another year slip by? Really, like a flash of tired nights and busy days. Oddly, I don't seem to be in a very different place than a year ago. Is that good or bad? I wish someone would tell me. I don't feel older, wiser, further ahead or further behind. Just more of the same.

I'm closer to looking my son in the eye and I need to take my daughter out tonight to buy some "tank tops" (mini-bras in disguise) and my littlest can speak a foreign language that I can't even understand. They seem to be changing so quickly, while I feel like haven't moved or grown.

Maybe that's the way it's supposed to be. Maybe as a parent your way should be steady, predictable, even boring. Maybe my calling is to be the rock that can steady themselves on no matter what life throws them. I can do that for them.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading this entry. I remember that your mom and the newborn-you were in the hospital when Chris was born. Yes, life seems so same sometimes but I can remember when I sometimes asked my mom what was new and she would comment, "Not very much-- but new is not always good, you know." Time flies but hopefully when we look back and see the big picture, it will be pleasing in more than just our own eyes.

    ReplyDelete